If you like baking yummy cakes but want to make healthier choices, there are many ways you can change the recipe. The below Healthy Lemon Polenta Cup Cakes recipe includes polenta and lemon.
Health Benefits of Polenta
Polenta is naturally gluten free and is made from cornmeal. Polenta is classified as a whole food and contains a good range of vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, vitamin A and zinc to name a few. It is also a great source of fibre which contributes to the lower glycemic index (GI) of this food. The carbohydrates in polenta are the ‘slow releasing’ variety. For you this equates to stable blood sugars; instead of the highs and lows that you could expect after a jam sandwich composed of white bread.
Health Benefits of Lemons
We all know that lemons a full of goodness. Some well known health benefits of lemons include treatment of throat infections, indigestion, constipation, dental problems, and fever, internal bleeding, rheumatism, burns, obesity, respiratory disorders, cholera and high blood pressure, while it also benefits hair and skin care. Lemon also helps to strengthen your immune system, cleanse your stomach, and it is considered a blood purifier.
The health benefits of lemons are due to its many nourishing elements like vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus and protein.
Lemons are easy to implement in your daily diet. Why not start the day with a glass of warm water and freshly squeeze lemon? Or why not try the below yummy recipe and leave your guests wowed!
- 160g unsalted organice butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup organic manuka honey
- 3 free range eggs
- 3/4 cup organic polenta
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line muffin tray with patty pans.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift polenta and baking powder over butter mixture.
- Add almond meal, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Stir with wooden spoon to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared holes. Smooth tops.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of 1 cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack over a baking tray.
- The mixture may look a bit separated and grainy but don't be alarmed. Simply spoon the mixture into the patty pans and you'll see that the end result is perfect. The top will pretty up by itself.